Thomas More University, in compliance with the Higher Education Act and its reauthorization in 2006 and 2007, establishes the following policy with regards to missing students residing in on-campus housing. All students submitting an application for on-campus housing shall be given the opportunity to provide confidential contact information for a person to be notified in the event the student is officially reported to the Office of Campus Safety as missing.
For any student residing in on-campus housing for which a missing persons form has been submitted to the Office of Campus Safety, the following actions shall be taken:
- The missing student will be reported to the Dean of Students
- The Office of Residence Life will attempt to contact the student using the contact information provided.
- With the assistance of Campus Safety, the residence life staff shall enter the student’s room to determine if the student is present/ has recently occupied the room and question the roommate if applicable.
- If, after 24 hours of the report being filed the student is not located the following steps shall be taken:
- The confidential contact shall be notified
- If the student is under 18 years of age, the parent/ legal guardian as indicated on the application will be notified;
- If over 18 years of age and did not identify a confidential contact, local police will be notified.